Orthographic and Isometric Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learningtime1

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2022
US
Hello All,
Need some clarity. My understanding is for a third angle projection drawing per ASME Y14.3 you should use as many or as few views as necessary to accurately and cleanly communicate the features of your part.
If I am creating a drawing and I use the Front, Left, and Bottom views to communicate my part; this is not considered incorrect if those are the necessary views I need to communicate my part across?
Now if I can communicate the features of my part using the Front, Right, and Top views just as well, but chose to use the Front, Left, and Bottom views is this now considered wrong?
Next, if I add an isometric view to my drawing is there a defined location that is has to be located? Or can it be located anywhere on the drawing? ASME Y14.3 doesn’t provide any information about this. Is there a standard that does?

Would love if people can point to sections in standards for reference.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "front view" in the language of drawings might not be the functional front as we normally think of it. Instead, the "front view" is the main one that other views hinge off of.
So it would be OK to have front, right side, and top views only. Or it would be OK to have front, left, and bottom views only.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

Use the least amount of views and sections, it doesn't matter what they are called. Only a bad drafter makes too many sections and projections. Trying to comply with every possible standard will tie your hands really tight and takes more time than producing actual useful drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back