OSHA 1926 Subpart M - Fall Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadblow

Structural
Jul 13, 2015
US
Hello All,

I am working with a contractor to establish a fall protection system to be used during the demolition of a bridge. The bridge deck is only 10'-0" off the ground. The contractor wants to install a warning line 6'-0" from all unprotected edges. Anytime an individual is outside of the warning line, they will be required to wear a full body harness and an 8'-0" lanyard anchored to a concrete block positioned at least 8'-0" away from the unprotected edges, thus preventing the individual from ever experiencing a fall. When the worker needs to move, he/she will step back inside the warning line, unhook from the concrete block, wait for a hydraulic excavator to re-position the block, and then reattach to the block.

Does this sound like an acceptable plan for fall protection? I'm not sure that it is. If I am interpreting the OSHA regulations correctly, when the worker unhooks, they are not protected even thought they are not between the warning line and an unprotected edge. If my interpretation is correct, than what is the purpose of a warning line?

Thank you for your help!

EIT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back