Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

OSHA Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag89

Structural
May 2, 2001
US
I have searched for the OSHA requirement for the minimum overhead clearance for maintenance platforms. Anyone have an idea? I have always used 7', but I think OSHA allows 6'-10" or 6'-8".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ag89, my books are rather old, I've been retired now for a number of years. I looked in the sections one would think would pertain to the question and found nothing. Nada. All I found was a 7'2" for the bottom ring of a caged ladder attached to a platform. I find it hard to believe there are no regulations for min ht. If I can find my CalOSHA stuff I'll look for it there.
Perhaps if you looked in a newer edition???

Rod

PS---I seem to remember banging my head on SEVERAL platforms in the refineries , and I am only a bit over 6 feet tall!!!

OSHA 1910.24 states that the minimum vertical clearance above any stair tread shall be at least 7 feet above the leading edge. In the absence of any other spec I would go with this.

I believe that it is 7' over a stair and 6'8" everywhere else. I'll check to make sure.

p.s. All of OSHA is available online, but the search is clumsy to use.

Steve

1910.37 (i)

"Headroom." Means of egress shall be so designed and maintained as to provide adequate headroom, but in no case shall the ceiling height be less than 7 feet 6 inches nor any projection from the ceiling be less than 6 feet 8 inches from the floor.

This is under the "Means of Egress". If it's not a means of egress you many get away with less headroom.

I think if you research the OSHA regulations deep enough, you'll find more than one answer to your question. It appears to depend on just what type of work area you're talking about.

For example, 1910 Subpart S (1910.303 specifically) states that, for 600 volts or less, "The minimum headroom of working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panel-boards, or motor control centers shall be 6 feet 3 inches." In the case where energized parts over 600 volts are exposed, this requirement increases to 6'-6".

On the other hand, under 1910.179, "Overhead and Gantry Cranes", the statement is made "Where footwalks are located in no case shall less than 48 inches of headroom be provided." This seems rather tight and I'm assuming it would only apply for cranes; not any permanent platform in a building.

As far as "Means of Egres", I would agree that the 7'-6" headroom applies. Just what actually is included within a building as a "Means of Egres" is somewhat vague. If you look at OSHA's definition, "A means of egress is a continuous and unobstructed way of exit travel from any point in a building..." and includes "intervening room spaces, doorways, hallways, corridors, passageways, balconies, ramps, stairs, enclosures, lobbies, escalators, horizontal exits, courts, and yards."

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back