Other chemicals need when using ozone or bromine/bleach treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian2903

Civil/Environmental
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hi there, I was just wondering if I need other chemicals such as:

1. calcium carbonate deposition control, calcium phosphate deposition control and mud/silt dispersion
2. carbon steel corrosion inhibition
3. bio-dispersant and oil/grease dispersant
4. dechlorination

if I'm going to use either ozone or Bromine+Bleach as biocide for my cooling tower.

Also, can I use acid to control pH to replace chemical 1 and 2 above?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will probably use:
1. Dispersant
2. Antiscalant
3. Biocide/Chlorine
4. Sulfuric acid for alkalinity control

The acid will not replace chemical 1 and 2 above.

You need to talk to a chemical supplier to establish the correct chemical treatment program.

Once we run higher cycles, calcium concentration will increase. Let's say we keep it around 7.8-8, by using acid to control the pH.

I think, the first thing we dont need would be corrosion control. Secondly, biocide should be able to kill bacteria which forms biofilm, so why we still need bio-dispersant. Thirdly, for pH around 7.8-8, scale should not form in the system, since the LSI would be around only 1.

Please advice, guys.

First thing you need to think about is getting a chemical analysis of the water.

The second thing that you need to think about is your application with such things as flow rates and materials of construction.

The third thing that you need to think about is the environmental regulations regarding limits on the discharge of cooling tower blowdown.

And the fourth thing that you need to think about is to discuss it with a chemical treatment expert such as Betz who has experience operating such systems.

There is no point in discussing anything further without the above information.

Brian,

Cover your cooling tower and install UV lights. I worked for the 2 largest chemical companies selling biocides, chlorine dioxide, corrosion inhibitors, etc. for cooling towers, boilers, etc.

Whenever a customer wanted to get off of "Chlorine" my first recommendation was to cover the cooling tower. After many years of convincing customers to use chlorine dioxide and a biocide eventually I gave into UV lights.

Todd

If I cover my cooling tower, then I need extra chiller for my cooling tower?
And how much would cost for UV system fro 60,000 GPM?

Brian,

Covering the cooling tower does not always require an extra chiller. At Henry Hub we used large tarps until the engineers designed a cover.

Costs for an ArcWhirl or PlasmaWhirl system vary. See:

It is based mostly on pressure requirements. My partner is the owner of a very large foundry. see:

In fact our test and demo rack is inside the foundry.

We can cast upwards of a 10 foot diameter volute (weighs about 25,000 lbs). However, we prefer to install multiple units.

Example:
Current UV system for 60,000 gpm recirc would cost about $2 million;
The plasmawhirl is 10% of that.

The plasmawhirl produces copius amounts of ozone in addition to blinding amounts of UV light. We use the same power supplies used in foundries. Sizes range from 10 kw upwards of 5 mw.

Being a former Naval Officer and qualified engineer officer of the watch for a gas turbine driven ship, I designed both systems for treating/disinfecting high volumes of ballast water as well as very low flowrate oily wastewater, such as bildge water.

Todd

Todd,

I've never heard of Arcwhirl or plasmawhirl, can you explain how it works and what it does?

Also, do I need extra chemicals when using it?

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back