Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of sequence BOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybags

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
NL
Hello all,
Currently using an Excel based BOM for all my assembly drawings. Just noticed that the balloon item numbers do not match the ones listed in the BOM. The problem seems to occur at item 3, which is a sub assembly. Never had any problems previously, can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not done this with Excel BOM's, but with SWX BOMs you have to individually link your drawing views to the BOM. RMB the view and select properties.

Colin

I use Excel BOM's but I don't use SW numbers. I prefer create number items manually, to get full control of them (can I be wrong?).

Regards

macPT,
You could be wrong, but I suspect what you are doing is right for your company. The way my present company works, balloon numbers have no relevance apart from referring to the BOM on the assembly drawing. However I have worked in several place where this is not the case.
Typically the item number combined with the assembly number forms an "address" for where the component should end up in a store, ready for picking and assembling.

Merry Xmas,

Colin

Using different configs will cause the balloons not to match.

If you need to use configs, "lock view focus" on the view the BOM is based on, then place balloons in the view with the other config. If the parts are still the same, the balloons will then match.

macPT ... not necessarily wrong, but definitely not efficient. SW does a pretty good job of placing balloons on all visible parts. The downside is, that it does not indicate the hidden parts which do not get ballooned. You have to physically count through the numbers to see what is missing. This is one of the very few areas where SE is actually better ... it "asterisks" the item number(s) in the BOM, of parts which were not ballooned.

[cheers]

The major problem is that the drawings must be consistent with our MRP system. For easy reading of the MRP BOM, we have some rules (for example, products of the same type have components structured the same way). This structure it's not necessarely according to SW items distribution. To avoid errors, we simply create these numbers manually. This way will to get the correct MRP BOM for each SW drawing. But you are right CBL, not much efficient.

Regards

macPT,
We at one time did the same as you. However we had 4 drafters, 4 designers, and several Engineers all creating Excel BOM’s manually to match our MRP system. What a mess this was, our checker was checking BOM’s almost full time. Our assemblies are about 30 to 500 parts and subassemblies. After we found out about “Turn AutoBOM update on” we switched over with no regrets.

Bradley

Still having trouble with those pesky balloons! I now have a sub assy (consisting of three simple components) at item 4, followed by several individual items. The Excel BOM looks correct, however, SW balloons the sub assy components 5, 6 & 7. What am I doing wrong??

When inserting a BOM, you are given 3 choices:-
1) Show parts only
2) Show top level sub-assemblies & parts only
3) Show assemblies & parts in an indented list

It sounds like you are using type 2) but you want type 3).

You will have to delete the BOM & re-insert it, with selection 3) enabled.

[cheers]

Eng-Tips:-
Intelligent Work Forums For Engineering Professionals [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back