Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Outdoor 2000KVA dry-type transformer installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugo.c

Electrical
Jun 24, 2024
US
Hoping someone can help point me to a standard that I can reference regarding the installation of an outdoor MV transformer that has its underside open to the elements. I have a gut feeling that these transformers should not be energized as installed.

I have looked up the manual for this Federal Pacific 2000kVA transformer (IN7750) and NFPA-70E paragraph 450 but does not explicitly state not to install the transformer with the transformer core exposed from underneath. NETA-ATS also does not provide any insight.

I do not have access to IEEE C57.93-2019 for additional reference.

The best reference I have found thus far that validates my concerns is the following: "The transformer enclosure is designed to prevent the entrance of most small animals and foreign objects. In some locations, however, you may have to consider additional protection. Transformers installed in public areas must be constructed to be impenetrable to foreign objects or the units must be protected by a fence in a manner that would prevent accessibility by the public and animals." source:
I don't want to simply "recommend" to the customer that transformer's base needs to be redone and/or filled-in. I want to be able to present something in black-and-white to ensure they will do the right thing and fill in under the transformer.

Screenshot_2024-06-24_083159_p4hhep.png
Screenshot_2024-06-24_083239_txsif1.png
Screenshot_2024-06-24_083505_sf6lzs.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
From Federal Pacific:

Category C enclosures are intended to provide a degree of protection against contact with enclosed equipment in secured installations intended to be accessible only to authorized persons.
(Category C will only be constructed after factory consultation
and required signed waviers)

It appears from the pictures, this is not a secured area. I would feel the customer would need to be made aware of what they purchased, and the implications of the waivers signed. In the end, I would recommend you have Federal Pacific tell your customer what level of protection they need to supply to ensure against crispy critters.

Heaviside1925,

I cross-posted to make sure I got plenty of exposure. Thank you, sir. I'll add this to my current list of "recommendations".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back