Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Outer-inner ring sliding surface dimension tolerances on spherical plaing bearings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbanaz

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2013
TR
Hello,
Currently,I'm designing a non-standard spherical plain bearing.
Bearing diameter is 140 mm. Radial internal clearance should be 0,100 - 0,192 (CN).
Outer ring outside diameter 230 -0,030.Inner ring inside diameter 140 -0,025.
Since during the operation of bearings, radial internal clerance is getting lower than the first ones,I should design dimension tolerances of inner ring convex outside diameter and outer ring concave inside diameter.
Is there any practical way of it?
Please let me know

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello mmbanaz,

Are you designing a bearing with a spherical bearing interface, where the journal and bearing lining are spherical?

If you could, please describe the application. Is the spherical interface for self-alignment?

Best Regards,
HydroPE

mmbanaz,

Thanks for the picture and information.

I can think of a couple things to consider to determine the clearance and tolerance.

The clearance between the rings should compensate for the interference fit of the outer and/or inner ring. This would be added to the desired operating clearance, since the clearance will tighten after being installed.

Depending on the magnitude of the load, the contact area for point loading may confine the amount of clearance acceptable. Less clearance would support higher loads since the point load is quickly distributed away from the point load, and vice versa. The point load pressure should be determined and compared to your maximum permissible bearing pressure.

If the interface is to be greased, the clearance must permit grease to enter. This will vary with the type of grease used and temperature; for example, NGLI 1 vs. 2 or 20F vs. 100F ambient temperature.

If a higher clearance is used, be sure that a loose linkage is acceptable.

Best Regards,
HydroPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back