Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outputing dimensions to Excel File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryandias

Automotive
Jul 28, 2006
CA
I was asked to try to get all my feature dimensions outputed to an excel file automatically (to try to catch changes/movements/errors).

I am not sure it can be done. Input is welcome???

I think ideally it would maybe come from the model, but drawing is ok as well. (I have a fully dimensioned drawing)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you have a look at the dimension tracker in draft environment? It may be usefull to track changes to your draft.

Patrick

You can copy and paste from the variable table into an excel file, but if you add or replace dimensions in the model or draft they will get new variable names.
You should be able to do conditional sorting on the excel data to see if variables have been added or modified.

bc

In the variable table in the part enviroment. Select expose variable on the dimensions you want to track. Then in the assembly enviroment select tools-reports-bom. You can customize this reports file for pretty much anything, it will even pick up the exposed dimension on your parts and it will update as well. Then you can copy the report in to excel. You might want to name the dimension. An easy way to do that is to double-click on the dimension and for example if it is the length of the part you simply type L or Length. I do the same thing with all my parts I have Length, Width, Thickness defined in the variable tables. I hope this will help.

Scobb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back