Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outsiders idea 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

berkshire

Jun 8, 2005
US
An idea by a trucker changed the shipping industry. In 1937 a trucker waited and watched his truck being unloaded ,and thought there has GOT to be a better way to do this. Now almost 80 years later nearly everything is shipped his way.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/business/100000004807604/the-power-of-outsiders.html?mc=aud_dev&mcid=fb-nytimes&mccr=AOBK&mcdt=2016-12&subid=AOBK&ad-keywords=AOBK
No, he was an outsider as "he watched his truck being loaded", obviously from the outside of the truck.... [2thumbsup]

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

He was an Outsider to the "Stevedoring and marine transport industry", He was sitting in line waiting for his truck to be unloaded by a bunch of dockworkers. And wondering why in blazes it was taking so long.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

A short search found this
I think it's a little underwhelming to just call him a "truck driver". Sure he was having to downsize his business in the late 1930's and haul goods himself, but then went from a couple of trucks to over 1700 in a decade or so.

Interesting observations about the obstructions and challenges he fought along the way.

A key example though of an inventor essentially giving away his royalties in order to generate an global standard and avoid a standards war.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Both outsiders and insiders have ideas.The problem is all are switching off their thinking machines,under excuses,hey,I don't have PhD or I haven't been to university etc, etc or due to adverse environments. Societies where they deliberately encourage all players to think and innovate their day to day activities (eg Japanese)prosper through innovation in products and services.

yeah, but look at the investment in infra-structure required to make container ships work.

and also i wonder if "union-bashing" had anything to do with the appeal of the idea ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

AFAIK, the biggest incentive toward containerization was 'shrinkage' of cargoes on the docks, which had become a pandemic.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back