Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overcoming Obstacles and....-Some Thoughts 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJR

Structural
Dec 23, 2000
TR
Pals

Work places are stressful and killing sometimes(and I am qualified to say this). This forum is really great place to share on this issue. I would like to share the following thoughts(related mostly to relationships at workplace):

- Every morning as you go to work, make sure you hold no grudge against anyone. This is tough but is surely not a bad attitude. At least you can reduce the amount of grudge. I have discovered that most bad judgement is made because somewhere we hold a little grudge against someone

- In tough discussions, sitting down(or asking permission to sit down),holding a pen and writing something on a paper, while surely listening(not blocking out), relieves tensions considerably. Standing up with hands open increases the tension significantly. I have personally tried this one. Most nasty things occur in this film scene where players simply and automatically choose the same props.

- I have a friend who fights me today and tomorrow passes me with a great joke(no flattering, but pure joke).It is difficult to hate him. He has a habit of letting himself lose an argument sometimes but fight when necessary. He treats a work place as a place where lightening up is necessary. So Lets always think lightening up. Have a joke, cut loose some personal rules, let the other guy win sometimes, and fight hard when you have to win sometimes.

respects
ijr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All Good Points.

My philosophy about woork goes like this:

I come to work to do a job that I was hired for. I am not employed here to like you but it helps. Let's focus on the job, get the work done. I have been very fortunate that I have yet to meet some one that I cannot work with.

ejl

IJR,

Great thread! A few of my work philosophies:

1. no-one deserves to have their job made harder than it needs to be.
2. We are not friend we are co-workers, but it it much more pleasant if I treat you like a friend regardless of whether I like you or not.
3. Holding grudges and letting personal feelings get in the way of the job is petty and unprofessional. Though the flip side is that you should make reasonable considerations not to upset people.

I find its much easier to get a job done when the politics/formalities are reduced in the workplace. I have the luxury of working with a small group schoolmates and other friendly people on a multi billion dollar construction job. Things get stressful and arguments ensue at times, but we can always tell a (non-PC) joke and grab a cold refreshment after work and leave the corporate bs at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back