Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overcoming the obstacle to departmental transfer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

knji

Electrical
Jun 27, 2004
CA
I have been in Technical Support within my present company for 2 years. My educational background is MSEE with emphasis on Control Systems and a minor in Computer Science.

I have expressed my desire to join the Software department, and have applied to an internal posting for Intermediate Software developer.

My direct Supervisor, as well as the Team Lead of this particular Software group, both have strongly recommended me to this position, to the VP of Engineering, the guy who calls the shots.

During my time in Tech Support, I have initiated, designed and implemented several applications for internal use, which is one reason my direct supervisor gave me a very positive review. In also currently re-designing one of our applications on my spare time, something I would love to do during company time.

Problem is, two listings for for this position have been posted on Monster and I have not been contacted as to when I would be starting. I was told by my Supervisor a couple of months ago, that an arrangment was being made for my gradual transition but the VP himself, who told me to be patient, the last time I raised the subject, has been silent.

I keep getting the impression from the Software Team Leader, who by the way, has re-iterated his position in recommended me being tranfered, that Engineering VP, regards me as a valuable resource in tech support. While I do not mind tech support, I am being under utilized, and could contribute more to this company than providing first line of support. Yes, I have told the VP this, during our first discussion on this subject.

I plan on quering my supervisor today on my application status, with hopes of some positive feedback. Nevertheless, I feel as if I am not doing enough to push my case.

How do you guys recommend I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was in a similar position myself a dozen or so years ago. I wanted a transfer to our software department. I'd had the nod from my future boss, but my (then) present boss wouldn't let me go. Internal politics meant that my future boss wasn't allowed to contact me directly.

Eventually I made it clear to all that I'd already done the hard part in making my decision to move and it would be nice if I could do it without having to change employers. Things started moving pretty quickly then.

I would suggest that if you really want to change careers, start looking for another job with another employer, if you don't think it will materialise where you currently are. Turf wars in a large company is a reality.

Unlike SomptingGuy, I don't advocate "threats". It usually doesn't do much, and reflects poorly on the person making the threat.

Having said that, there is no harm in reminding everyone involved that you would like to make this move. I'd say maybe once every couple of weeks - until you find an alternative with another employer. Once you do, give notice and leave. If your current company then decide to move you, I would still leave - they've had their chance. Too late.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...

If you were outside this company and applying for a job, you would call and check on the status every week or two, right? Check with your current boss, future boss, VP, HR, whoever you need to so that you can see what is the status of the transfer. If everyone is recommending the transfer, it should happen pretty fast so either someone is resisting or dropping the ball. Find out which.

Management thinks they have two choices, promote you or keep you where you are,
You have three; go elsewhere. Good advice from the others.
Plus, never believe what some manager/supervisor etc says, and maybe not even if they put it in writing. They will always be able to find excuses later on for not doing (or being allowed to do) what they wanted to do.
You may also find that if you do get the job, as an internal transfer, you may not have been able to get the deal some one coming into the company could get even though recruiting you saves the company money.
Best advice? keep your CV out there at all times and especially at times such as this.

If they don't deliver on this, are you going to continue to provide those benefits to them that brought about the opportunity or will those tasks devolve to the new incumbent?

How will your behaviour change and be seen to change if this goes against you?

If they don't look after you now, will they ever in the future? Is this a sign that they will want to keep you where you are forever (this is bad management....Good managers gain kudos for delivering a supply of properly motivated, skilled valuable employees to other parts of the company....some companies, very successful companies, have a policy that positively discriminates in favour of internal promotions and recruiting behind the promotion.

You can't help but have your attitude altered by such an event because it is a revelation event. It tells you what is behind all those promises and friendly hints...hot air or commitment?

JMW

"Good managers gain kudos for delivering a supply of properly motivated, skilled valuable employees to other parts of the company"

Absolutely. My team is losing a brilliant new(ish) graduate who has learned loads with us and, in turn, given loads back. He wants to move on to new challenges in the same company. Our project manager was horrified when he found out this morning during yet another really exciting meeting. Fortunately he is a bean counter rather than a manger, so he lost the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back