Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overcoming Time Obstacles for ECN's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriegen

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2006
US
Hello all,
Currently our ECN system is anitquated and needs to be updated. When we need to distribute our ECN packages we e-mail it our to people on the routing list, but also need to have everyone sign it for evidence of communication. We would like to change to a system similar to outlook meeting. We need the capability of accepting ECN's or declining them and the ability to track them as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Foofire
CSWP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please review the attached ECN and respond with your approval or objection and comments by no later than the due date indicated.

Failure to reply by the due date will be construed as approval, and anything that's wrong will be your fault forever.

Ok Gents,
Well I have not used Access just yet, but I can learn. (seems to be what engineers do everyday)

My PDM system is PDMworks with Solidworks. There is a limited number of seats for this and is confusing for someone who hasn't used it previously so I would not want to use that.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Foofire
CSWP

I've seen a couple different places use Access for ECNs. Access databases can also be ported through Excel or through simple custom applications or macros, so it is not necessary for everyone to have Access to use the database.

We have recently adopted MS SharePoint for some of our project managment, not ECNs, but this software has the ability to act as a repository and routing for comunications since it links with outlook. I would check with your IT to see if you have it available to you. It was very easy to learn and setup and being a MS product there are tons of resources. I could very easily see this being used for ECNs.

Kenat, yes PDM is not free. But the best PDM for a particular software is the one that is made for it. An access database is a good alternative for a small company should if that can not be used.

The OP indicates they have PDMWorks for Solidworks. I would suggest they use that for the drawings and models. The number of licenses is not a problem as you do not need one all the time, just when checking in or checking out. If the OP uses an Access database, they will have a learning curve with that as well as the time spent setting up the database. The Solidworks PDMWorks setup would be easier in my opinion. (I have not had to do either.) I have used cad systems with and without a formal PDM system. I have rarely seen problems with file managment using a PDM, but have seen similar problems with outher informal types of control. I recomend the OP read up on what is involved with document control systems before tyring to program an Access datuabase or setting up the Solidworks PDM.

The ECN's is a different question. This can be done with the PDM system and some release procedure is needed for the drawings and models after the ECN is approved, but the OP has a point about this being a drag on the number of licenses and the sign off may include some people who have no need to know how to use PDMWorks. If MS SharePoint can use the voting options in Outlook for the "signoff" then that may be the way to go.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

How functional is Access when not everyone is on the same version? I have had bad experiences with this.

Also, how do you validate drawings that may have an ECN out against them?

How badly do you need all the signoffs for your ECNs? If everybody is in the same building, all you really need is one manager to approve it. The manager can call a meeting, they can walk the ECN around the office and ask all the affected people about it, or they can just approve it and tell you to get the %&%#^^ thing fixed by 3:00pm!

If you make this thing complicated, people will get in the habit of working around it, and then you will have no control.

With any kind of bureaucracy, the KISS rule applies with a vengeance.

Critter.gif
JHG

I've worked at a place where every Wednesday was "ECN Day". A meeting was held at 2pm, with required signers. Before the meeting ended, ECNs would be distributed for the following week's meeting, for review. Worked pretty well, and this was 1996, before even PDAs were wide spread. If something couldn't wait till the next meeting, then someone hoofed it around to get signatures.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back