Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

overpressure water test vs internal vacuum test

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniele79

Aerospace
Jul 8, 2004
IT
Hi all,
I'm trying to understand the difference between two leakage test performed in underwater vehicle design.
The first: external overpressure water test
This test is performed with the vehicle inserted into a tank pressurized with water (at the maximum design pressure). verification of tightness is performed measuring the umidity level inside the vehicle.

The second: internal helium vacuum test
normal procedure according to varios regulamentation (EN 1779 for example).

I think that the first test is a tightness test with maximum design deformation (and so it is also a robustness test)
The second is a real leakage test.

And another consideration/question: if I apply the same pressure difference beetween the inner side and the outer side of the vehicle (with external overpressure or internal underpressure) the vehicle structural deformation is the same. Is it correct?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess. High pressure water test is a check for strength. Gas test is a check for porosity or other small leak paths that are too small for water to readily flow through in the duration of the water test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back