Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Oxygen concentrations after inerting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerH

Petroleum
Feb 6, 2003
AE
I have a question with respect to residual oxygen concentration in a process unit, vessel etc after inerting.
The usual limit of oxygen (in nitrogen) I have usd in refineries are 0.5 or 1.0 vol% after an inerting step. The the inerting is regarded to be complete and accepted. However looking at figures such as LOC combined with LEL/HEL this figures is about 11-12 vol% oxygen.
In my past I have been accustomed to use the 1.o vol% limit without giving it much consideration. however I cannot find a god explanation why such a low number should be used. Pratically I can buy into using a margin from e.g. LOC to cover for uncertanities in sampling/analyses and that all part of a unit/system that has been subject for the inerting havent mixed ideally. Naturally if hydrogen can be present I an see a reason for a lower limit, but in the case there is no hydrogen present, should the limit be this low?
The 1.0 vol % seems to be an industry practice. Is there anything I forget, overlook here.
Would be very much interested to hear others view on this subject.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My view is that other than causing fire and explosion within the LEL-HEL range, O2 can also be responsible for side reactions and corrosion in refinery equipment already at the ppm level under process conditions. That is one reason I would want to get the O2 level as far down as practically possible before I start the process running.

Some degradation mechanisms due to O2 are difficult to predict before hand and the designers assumed an O2 free environment. That could also be a reason why the industry standard is to get the O2 level down as far as possible before introducing process fluids.

Some examples of damage due to "higher" levels of O2, I can think of: degredation of MDEA - corrosive products will manifest themselves after months; pitting if there are Cl ions.

gl431 is correct. There are some processes where 5 ppm O2 will cause violent reactions (polyethylene for example). So you you need to know whats going on in the equipment you are inerting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back