Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

P-delta effect for steel structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtonSTR

Structural
Feb 10, 2009
US
What percentage the p-delta contribute to stress ratio
for column of steel structure you found?

I got 1% for braced frame and 5% for moment resistent frame.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good estimate would be the B1-B2 multipliers in AISC. There is not a set percentage. If there were, it would be put in the code and we could avoid the detailed analysis.

To enginering?

I see.

Just want to know a common situation. For example, one would like to control KL/r around 90-150 for column.

p-delta effect was some thing we can control by change the
rigidity of structure, as I understand. Similar as KL/r, I think it may have a allowance value.

I usually look more to the total deflection (or drift) than to the amount of the p-delta increase in moment. I have done water towers where the p-delta effect with seismic has added over 50% to the design moment.

I don't know off-hand what it would usually be for buildings. I don't really consider them without p-delta to know the difference. It would be proportional to the gravity load and the drift - both of which can vary from job to job.

I have had around the 40% mark before under normal live and wind loads.

It really depends on how slender the structure is.

I expect that your code would give you a maximum allowable before you have to do an advanced analysis.

I'd estimate that a total amplification of about 5 to 10% is common for building type structures. But, that is just a ball park number for those of us in seismic country.

This can increase if there are very few moment frames with a lot of "leaning" columns that don't participate in resisting the lateral forces.... more common for structures where the lateral design is entirely controlled by wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back