Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

P-delta + Modal Spetral Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaquers

Structural
Nov 6, 2010
AR
Is there an option in SAP2000 to take into account the p-delta effect when you are working with load combinations which have a Response Spectrum load case?

I know that it makes no sense to combine p-delta with a response spectrum result because it loose the sign. But how can I have this amplification into account?

Currently I'm scaling up the drifts and forces by the ASCE 7-05 Section 12.8.7 coefficient. Is there another way? Regards,

Sebastian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This isn't a full answer to your question, but modal analysis cases can be based on the stiffness of a nonlinear P-delta case. Those "stressed" modal cases can then be used as the basis for response spectrum or modal time history cases. For example, you could define a static nonlinear p-delta load case which includes selfweight, equipment loads, and maybe even a percentage of live load. You could then define a modal case to use the stiffness of that nonlinear load case. In some designs, it can make a significant difference in modal results.

As you already pointed out, there isn't a reasonable way to include response spectrum (RS) results in a P-delta case. You could define nonlinear P-delta load cases which include static earthquake loads, but not RS loads. Alternatively, a direct integration time history analysis for seismic loads could consider P-delta

I don't have it in front of me at this moment, but doesn't 12.8.7 refer to amplification of static results?

Dear masomenos,
in my opinion it doesn't say that this amplification is only valid for static results.

According with ASCE 7.05 Section 12.8.7: "Where the stability coefficient (teta) is greater than 0.10 but less than or equal to the incremental factor related to P-delta effects on displacements and member forces shall be determined by rational analysis. Alternatively, it is permitted to multiply displacements and member forces by l.O/(l - teta)."

Regarding you answer, according with ASCE I need to take p-delta effect into account if teta is > 0.10. The "stressed" modal cases could amplify the forces but I think that it isn't the same. Thanks, regards.

Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back