Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pack all command

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtharrett

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2008
US
Today we upgraded to NX 8.0 from 7.5 (after a great what's new presentation from John). In 7.5 I had a toolbar that contained the "pack all" command. Cannot seem to find the toolbar that contains this. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't recall there being a toolbar with it on there, but my memory isn't what it used to be!
Use Tools -> Customise, then you can drag and drop to wherever you like (see image).

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.6, NX6.0.5, NX7.0.1, NX7.5.0-> NX7.5.5 & NX8.0.0 -> NX8.0.2, NX8.5p15

The last version of NX which included, out-of-the-box, a toolbar dedicated to, and providing icons for, the various options associated with the Assembly Navigator was NX 1.0. However, as Anthony has mentioned, there is no reason why you can't use Customize to enable those legacy icons, which we still support, to either create a new customized toolbar with your desired Assembly Navigator options, or you can simply add the desired icons to whatever existing toolbar you wish, perhaps the existing 'Assemblies' toolbar. As for why you had access to this icon in NX 7.5, well it would seem that someone had already performed some level of customization enabling these legacy icons, but I can assure you, they were not there by default.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

This is a bit odd,
the attached screendump is from NX7.5.5.4. and not customized at all.
What i did was RMB among the other icons - Assembly Navigator.
Then in my NX8.0.1.5 install, the corresponding RMB popup does not contain the line "Assembly Navigator" . ( as i can see.)
But, in the install directory under C:\siemens\nx8\UGII\menus\ there is a "ug_assembly_navigator.tbr"
that can be loaded and displayed.

Regards,
Tomas

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a6214e06-a74a-43f4-b3be-e088b71b36ff&file=assy-nav-toolb.png
While we're still providing the so-called 'legacy' .tbr files (for the Part and Assembly Navigators, for example), it was decided to no longer, by default, include them in the list seen when you enter the Customize tool. The reason for this is that they are basically obsolete since ALL of the options on these toolbars are now available directly from within the Navigator windows themselves using the MB3 mouse gesture, something which was NOT available when we first introduced Navigators those many years ago in UG. Their removal was an attempt to simplify the presentation of the options offered using Customize as it's still a bit daunting when you see all of the toolbars which are technically available yet not enable. After all, if one got a bit carried away, you might end-up with a situation like...

AlltheIconsandToolbars.jpg

...and that's only NX 7.5. We've added a lot of new stuff since then.

That being said, since the .tbr files are still there, you can 'recover' them if you don't want to depend on mouse gestures within the Navigator windows. Also, as Anthony mentioned, all of the individual Icons are still available using the Customize tool so if it's only a couple of the items that you would like to recover they can be added to one of your existing toolbars or even a new customized toolbar could created containing only the icons that you really felt that you needed.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

That screenshot is brilliant!
Can you provide a full size version of the image?
- I see good opportunities for practical jokes here :) ( Just drop the image as screen backdrop on somebody elses computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back