Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pack & Go Equivalent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prsyam

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2012
SA
We have a directory structure like all Sub-assemblies have it's own folder, otherwise it will be so messy to keep all in one folder since we have ~500+ unique parts / Machine.
When I make a new development from an existing machine, in SolidWorks I was able to copy the whole machine with its sub-assemblies in respective folders, with/without a change in name, I am unable to see something like that in Revision manager. If that facility is not there I am really going to get screwed up. Help..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Revision manager should be able to do what you want, you just need to work out how best to use it.

For instance, let's assume you have a high level folder with your machines files in, and each sub assy has its own folder. When yo make your copy you want the names of the sub folder to remain the same and only change the top level folder name, correct?

My suggestion will be to open top level assy drawing (.dft) in Revision manager, expand all, select all and set action to copy.

Then use Edit, Replace to change the top level folder name for all files.

If you have drawings (.dfts) of the sub assy's etc that you want to copy you'll need to do a 'where used' search of all files as well. You can then use similar technique to copy them and change the file path.

(while you may not need it for this activity another useful function is the 'select files' operation (buton is next to select all), this allows you to semi auto select files based on file names/path.)

Pack & Go does seem to do a nice job of copying a complete set of files, however for other file management processes it seemed a bit lacking from what I saw.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

500 unique parts is not a lot of files to keep in one folder.
I worked on an assembly that had nearly 3x that and all parts were in one folder, except for fasteners.
The total part count for the top level was about 108,000
The only things we kept in a sub-folder was the drawings.
I've just worked on a job where assemblies were split into sub-folders and its a real PITA.
Don't you find you put things in the wrong folder and you're always having to change folder to find something?

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Yesterday God came to my dream and said to open the top level assembly draft with Revision Manager then go to Revision Manager Assistent hidden in Tools tab > set action as copy a file > Next > Browse and select the same file again (I never saw God laughing this way) > Next with default options > Browse and Select the location > Next > then a "Where Used" window comes and I dont know what to do with it but here I got an option to Include Subfolders > Next > it will process something and tell me to press finish botton > then a Dialogue box comes saying "you must click the perform actions button on the toolbar to commit any changes made" > when I say OK another DB comes saying This document is the chiled of -x- which doesn't allow changes > what I will do, just press OK [ponder] > the same DB comes again with so many names of childs and when I press OK, I dont know some master files are changing or what. > then Perform Actions.
In the end he was saying, I dont know why they not given this "Include Subfolders" option with the copy command in the home tab. we all consider copy as a safe command and it dont need any warning messages, right?
Morning I tried this and it was a disaster, I have copied all to a folder in my local drive and 385 files and 35 folders come in that folder and 514 files and 291 folders went in another folder outside(this is named same as server folder which I have mapped for convenience, but in property manager every location is same, not from Mapped drive)
Yet I dont know there is a fair way to do this.
Thanks for reading.

It isn't a fault with Revision Manager, you just don't know how to use it.
One of your other posts suggests some people are getting training - I would suggest having training on Revision Manager as its one of the most important utilities in Solid Edge.
The principles of it are very simple and powerful, but you can, as you have already seen, do a lot of damage with that power.

If your folders came in with the same name as on the server you didn't follow Kenat's instructions.
The paths of all files in the assembly structure are clearly shown in Rev Manager - its a simple job to change them but you didn't do that.
You can't complain if the utility did exactly what you told it to.

As for Copy not needing any warning messages do you not want it to tell you if you are overwriting an existing file?
The warnings are there for a reason - to stop you doing something you probably shouldn't be doing.

Have a look on You-Tube - there are loads of Revision Manager videos.

We can't train you here, only help if you are stuck or unsure.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Hi beachcomber
Thanks for the suggestions. when you speak I will hear with respect since I have already learn so much from you, and my problem, maybe I have switched from Solid edge V19 to SW2008 without any training & never stuck somewhere. while coming back from SW2012 to ST5 I am so excited to see that I can save a lot of time in framing (just saw you said my procedure for framing was wrong with Alternate Assemblies and I will dig it) and lot of other areas, but for some common things I need to dig so much.
There are two points,
1) If I follow what KENAT said, Then use Edit, Replace to change the top level folder name for all files. it is going to be time consuming and there will be manual errors, so what I have tried was some shortcuts.
2) When I do Pack & Go, in no case something will go outside the folder, so there is no question of overwriting
I am not blaming solid Edge in any case, when I am enjoying with a lot, I can live with others

"1) If I follow what KENAT said, Then use Edit, Replace to change the top level folder name for all files. it is going to be time consuming and there will be manual errors, so what I have tried was some shortcuts."

Um, how the heck does clicking 'replace all' become time consuming and introduce manual errors?

My assumption was all the sub-folders were keeping the same name as in the original copy and only the top level folder was changing name.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

PRSYAM,

First ! The revisionmanager is your best friend in SE. And you should learn how it work before you do anything else in SE.
Like Kenat and Beachcomber already said you can find some very nice vid's about RM on youtube.

But there is also a program called Hitteam tools that's able to do this. The only minus here is that the program is only in German language available.
So if this is not a problem. Then I think it will be a more easy way to achieve the same results.
It does also have the pack&go functionality (copy also used fonts etc...) like you already have seen in Inventor & Solidworks

Thanks xedu, I am working in a German company but unfortunatly that software doesn't support 64bit Solid Edge, Think I have to do my 20+ first level subassemblies (may be a countless second, third and fourth level also) like what KENAT said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back