Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Packers & Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitko007

Petroleum
Nov 13, 2010
AT
Hi,
can anyone help me with some information about the different types of packers and plugs used in the oilfield industry. I have to write a paper and i have troubles with finding information especially concerning the type of plugs (found almost everything about packers). All the books write only about Bridge plugs. Are they the only type of plugs used?

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are retrievable, drillable and permanent bridge plugs to name a few. Retrievable plugs are typically steel with mechanisms to set and release the plug. Drillables are typically made of cast iron so they can be drilled. There are also bridge plugs made of composite materials.
The website for our company is: Hope this helps.

My favorite is a "VR Plug"; It took me days in a petroleum engineering dept to find it is "valve removal plug". Used in wellhead to plug annulus ports , behind a valve. ( An obsolete term ,no doubt).

PLugs are used to seal up the tubing or casing bore, either permanently or temporarily. They are used to isolate zones above them for testing, or below them for squeeze cementing, fracing, or due to water production. Or to provide a solid base to the well to set a cement plug or a whipstock on.

You get plugs that are set in nipples.

You get plugs that have slips and can be set anywhere in pipe. Set on wireline or slickline with a setting kit, or on pipe with drop balls, and various combinations of weight and rotation.

You get retrievable plugs that can be left in the hole and then recovered- the general terms is an RTTS packer . RTTS is actually a Haliburton trade name, but just as 'Hoover' or 'biro' are actualy trades names become generic terms, RTTS is a generic terms. It does upsetset SLB and BJ Services when you refer to their TST packer as an RTTS though.....!

There are vanishing plugs- plugs made of glass, that will disintegrate downhole above a certain pressure, eliminating a trip to retrieve them, but sadly I've never had a chance to play with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back