Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pad multiple shapes together to creat an Airfoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightzero3d

Aerospace
Jan 9, 2009
Hello,

Does anyone know how to pad multiple shapes that have different dimensions in order to make one solid part? I'm trying to create a wing with different airfoils along the span of the wing but I do not know how to connect all the sketches to make a solid streamline piece. Basically the root will have a different airfoil than the tip. Can anyone help me out here? I hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

(i provided a rough sketch as an attachment link)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep, I would say join the two airfoils with a surface and then I believe you can fill the shape with a solid.

I'm modeling an experimental aircraft right now and I'm using surfaces for most of the stuff I'm doing.

The best answer to your question depends a lot on what you are trying to accomplish. Surface modeling will certainly allow you the most explicit control over the shape of the model. This does take more time and expertise though.

If you need a more-or-less quick and dirty result you can use simpler methods. (For example, maybe you need to mock up some wing parts for a proposal package: the wing would be a simple representation around which you would model proposed equipment) For this sort of thing the multi-section solid function works well.

To do this, create planes at stations along the airfoil, and create a sketch on each plane representing the cross section at that station. (Then check the help docs about the Multi-Sections Solid command)

The level of complexity and accuracy you need will determine which method (or combination) is appropriate for you.

Cheers,
Mark

You could use that approach you have started with a major sketch with all sections so you can easy constrain them internally. But then create planes at stations along the airfoil, and create sketches with projected section from the major sketch on each plane representing the cross section.

I see what you guys are saying about the multi-section solid command but I think that would be too time consuming if i had 100 points for an airfoil.

I imported points for an airfoil and now the problem i'm having is i want to make it to a solid piece but when I go to sketcher mode, I can not use the spline function since it will not let me click on the points. How can I connect the points to form a close body to form a solid part? I might start a new thread for this. Thanks all you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back