Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paint and Process Recommendation - 3500 units

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanpark

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
We need to assemble and weld many pieces to construct 3500 weldments. The final weldments are approximately 25'L X 4'W x 6"H and are mild steel (A36). They look somewhat like a car frame when completed. These units need to be complete in 6 months which is the equivalent of 19 units per day, 7 days per week. We are exploring the idea of painting these units ourselves rather than subcontracting the work to professional painters.

The only information we have is that the paint must be water based, 50-60 microns thick, and green in color. We don't know if the steel is clean or dirty. Obviously there are many questions we will need to ask the customer.

We do not have any painters or a paint booth. In fact paint is not our area of expertise. We are fabricators. We don't even know where to start my research.

Questions
1) Are there painting experts out there that we could consult with that will tell us the most economical and practical way to roll out this project?
2) Do you have any good sources or website where we could start our research? I.e. should we air dry or use an oven? Do we need to invest in a painting booth? What kind of paint? Do we need primer?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will be buying a lot of paint. Contact paint manufacturers or distributors and ask them to recommend the most appropriate paint and application process. They should also be familiar paint contractors in the area.

Hi Dhurjati,

I believe indoors, however not 100% sure. It is on my list of questions to ask the customer.

Hi Compositepro

That is a good idea. I will ask around to see who our distributors are. I am guessing we cant go to our local paint store as this is pretty application specific.

Thanks for the tips as I go along researching.

The painting is one of the specialty task similar to the steel work, piping work, etc.
If don't plan to subcontract the work, IMO, you may, at least, hire an experienced painting Expert who can establish a paint plan of material selection, procedure and inspection, etc., set up the training for the workers, and look over the painting work of the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back