Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paint crosslinker for desert

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentar

Petroleum
Jul 12, 2011
SI
Hay!

Our metal surfaces (from Al, SS, CS) are after few years completely without colour. We are located in a desert and metal surfacea are all the time located outside of buildings. We prepare metal surfcae according to paint supplier request.In few years the metal surfaces look like that they do not have no colour.
We use a zink based silicat resin as a primer and silicon resin based paint as a cover. I think that the latest is not enough crosslinked. Which crosslinker do you suggest?

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by what crosslinker? Specifically what is the name of the top coat and from what manufacturer?

If the silicone is not an acrylic blend, you won't have UV or weathering protection which can result in color loss.

Supplier is akzo nobel - Intertherm lack is used as a cover.

As crosslinker - a hardener or some other stuff which would improve the stabiliaty of a paint system outdoor.

Has your system ever worked? None of the Intertherm coatings claim to be UV resistant; they claim to be temperature resistant, which is not the same.

Why not Kynar, which is sold as being UV resistant and works; I and a neighbor have had Kynar coated roofing for 20 years with no noticeable degradation in color.
TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You are correct that Intertherm is a high heat paint. As an International customer , Interthane would be an example of their UV resistant line. We use Interthane 990HS on our fleet. Interfine is part of their newer acrylic polysiloxane line that has better UV resistance. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back