Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paint Removal (Touch Up Procedure)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDanger

Mechanical
May 15, 2012
ZA
Hi,

I write manuals for equipment we make, things like winches and A-Frames, mostly for offshore mining vessels. I just need to know a method used for removing paint from an area for touching up. Something that's commonly used or doesn't need exotic tools.

We generally shot blast to SA 2.5 during manufacture.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am of the assumption by touching up means to remove all paint layers including the primer. Sand paper may be fine for very small jobs, however, with marine equipment no job is that small. So think about it what equipment do you need to remove the old paint layers; an air operated grinder with a HEPA vacuum hose attachment to remove lead based paint perhaps? respirators either with continuous air flow or full face HEPA respirators, perhaps; application procedures as recommended by paint manufacturers which provide great source of information on procedures; MSDS's availability for old and new paints and all related safe work procedures recognized by OSHA as it has developed ship yard safe work requirements; last but not least, work over water would require floatation equipment to be worn by painters with a skiff on standby; and I am sure more can be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back