Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Painting and ATEX certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoorthy

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
CA
The supplier of an electrical items has the item ATEX certified, we need the product to be painted to our project specific painting scheme, the european supplier claims that if the painting is done (Which is not their standard) the ATEX certification is no longer valid, is this contention correct?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it is the equipment supplier who has to do the risk analysis and issue the ATEX certification, then all matters relating the equipment specification is down to him.
I must admit, I would be surprised if painting was a critical part of the specification, but I suppose it could be. It could just be he doesn't want to bastardise his standard equipment to suit a one off sale, which I can sympathise with.

Remember ATEX certification is still developing and interpretations vary in different European countries. Additionally the directives are not proscriptive in that they do not contain specific lists of detailed instructions (e.g. minimum size of bolts, use this size of O-ring etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back