Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Painting procedures & reports generation SOFTWARE TOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGiLuzzu

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2002
RO

Every day we find ourselves to issue numerous procedures, instructions, reports and painting certificates, by manually entering the same data more than once in different MS Word or Excel files.

I feel the need for a tool in which I can enter the data set of each single supply once and for all, and from which I can automatically generate all the different types of documents required.

Before I try to develop my own “house made” solution, is anyone aware of any suitable software tools already available on the market?

THANKS and REGARDS,
‘ngl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How would the software know the exact choice to make for the documents you want to generate?

What constitutes a "enter the data set of each single supply once" ?

3DDave,
when I say “data”, I mean all the information to be specified on:

▪ the documents which prescribe what to do (procedures, working instructions, etc.),​

and

▪ the forms to be filled in to record what has been done (reports, certificates, etc.),​

like (but not limited to):
[ul]
[li]REGISTRY DATA (supply references, PO n°, Customer and/or project name, reference Customer specification, etc…);[/li]

[li]technical DETAILS (paint product type, brand and name, desired WFT, nominal DFT, % solids, mix ratio, color, etc…) OF EACH COAT;[/li]

[li]reference STANDARDS and acceptance CRITERIA of all the TESTS to be performed before, during and after surface preparation and coating system application;[/li]

[li]any other useful Notes & Remarks.[/li]
[/ul]​

Of course, all those data will be input manually, but only once (and not several times as we do now, from the bid stage until the delivery of the products - namely industrial valves - that we manufacture here) for each coating system of each work order.

The software should be able to generate different types of documents based on the same set of data.

The next step could be managing a searchable documents database (to better fulfill repetitive requirements and increase our business intelligence, for example), but about this we have some more knowledge of the possible solutions already.

I hope I have explained my idea a little bit better now, however please feel free to ask further questions if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back