Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pallet Lifting Device Modification Idea-Replace Motor with Cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyDog

Electrical
Aug 8, 2007
US
Thanks for taking my post,

I have a pallet lifting device ,and it has an electrical motor running it at the moment, it lifts up
about 12 in. , we have alot of problems with the brake,and
stopping at the right position. I would like to replace
the motor with air cylinders. My co-workers think that we
would have a problem with 1 cylinder being ahead of the
others and it raising unevenly. We would have 4 cylinders
on this. I think that if we went with the same length of hose for each cylinder, that would help. Would you have any ideas or devices that would help.

Thanks in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A common lifter is a hydraulic scissor. They are simple and reliable. If you can find a device for sale similar to what you describe, evaluate it's components and try it. But if memory serves me I think I have seen air cylinders hooked in parallel that race each other. That application, it didn't seem to matter; falling pallets might not be good?

For the price of available lifts, it would be hard to design one, spec and purchase components, then assemble it and eliminate the years of practical experience that is built into the purchased units. Maybe your situation doesn't allow it, but would a new unit fit?

==========================================
Business Site ------------------------------------------
Cycle Utopia.......

Four cylinders connected to a rigid frame would generally be an over-constrained system. As such, the cylinders would be forced to move the same amount. You'll need to spend some time designing this as the loads from bending moments can be significant. Also the force that a cylinder puts out depends not only on the weight lifted but also on the compliance of the system.

What load and lift speed are we talking about?

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back