Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Palm Pilot based vibration analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarkWolf

Electrical
Dec 20, 2001
US
I have a need for an inexpensive vibration analyzer, preferably hand-held. Seems to me the utility of inexpensive Palm Pilots could be leveraged as cheap CPU/Display combinations. Ultimately I need average displacent data (inches-per-second) at a specific phase angle. I can marry a circuit design to affix to a Palm Pilot. Can anyone refer me to app notes with ready-to-rock circuits?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SKF will introduce a Palm Type FFT Analyzer in March of 2002. The device will operate on the Palm OS operating system and in the initial release support velocity, acceleration and FFT display. Future releases under design will exend the capability into demodulation, temperature and...?

Due to the requirement of providing sensor signal conditioning and suitable battery life it requires the use of a module. We have chosen to work upon the HandSpring Visor platform and it's standard expansion module. It will support multiple languages and run as an additional application to the various Palm applications already loaded.

Phase will not be included initially so balancing will not be available. It will be possible to load a balancing algorithm for manual entry and to utilize the Visor to perform the calculations.

Pricing (w/Visor included) will be in the in the $700 - $800 USD range. For customers with a PDA they can simply purchase the expansion module with accel and Palm application for about $500 USD. It is designed primarily as a field service troubleshootng device, not a PdM data collector. It will be available at the secure e-commerce site:

Have a look at an add on from IMV Corporation.
This is similar to the one posted about the SKF instrument.
They have an instrument now on the market called a Cardvibro VM 2001. It uses a Visor as it's PDA. Looks OK with specs. takes overalls, time waveform and 1600 line FFTs. Worth loking at. But I'd stick to dedicated instruments for now.

Unfortunately we don't get to set the pricing - used one last week and was impressed at the amount of functionality within the Visor platform. Not really designed to replace the Data Collector/Analyzers for large scale route based data collection - but should work very well for service groups, repair shops, and consultants not wanting to pay the 10 to 15K for the typical data collector/analyzer. Happy to discuss it's capabilities off line.

Cheers and Happy Holidays, DG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back