Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Panel Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

horsefeather

Aerospace
Dec 26, 2007
US
I have a GE Fanuc system with an outdoor operator's station. Installed in the station is a GE Fanuc Quickview Panel. Being outdoors the panel is occasionally subject to direct sunlight; long story short - they stop working when exposed to the sun.

I need a replacement panel that will hold up to occasional stints in the sun. I'm assuming that someone who manufactures a sunlight readable panel, has engineered a panel that will work when exposed to the sun.

So, I'm looking for a 12" sunlight readable panel, < 50 Watts, with an ethernet port. I've identified a number of qualified panels but I'm looking for somthing that has already been used with GE Fanuc so the drivers are available.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are asking for continuing expensive problems. Changing units will cause more headaches and even if they last a while longer will still choke sooner than later. Direct sun means an isolation of up to 1000W/m[sup]2[/sup]. Then you have the heat from the electronics.

Why not correct the situation with a simple sun shade. This is how correctly installed electronics are normally protected in the field. Barring that, you need open vented enclosures and often lots of fans.

Keith Cress
kcress -

So far it has not been an ambient heat problem. The ambient heat is 80 degrees and the panel's reasonably cool. What happens is that the heat stikes the black bezel which heats up and honks up something behind it. The touchscreen is 80 degrees and it still displays correctly, it won't accept operator touch inputs. The panel is not in the sun all the time nor is the operator. But as these units are in use 24 hours a day on offshore oil platforms, there are sun angles that strike for up to an hour.

We'll put up an awning and go with a non-black bezel, but my current reasoning is that if I have a panel that's rated sun light readable, the manufacturer has given some design thought to the sun striking it. If I buy a product line that has worked with GE Fanuc in the past I'll save integration costs.

GE has a panel called Wolverine that does everything except it weighs 35lb, is 15" and consumes 120 W; otherwise it's ideal.

Thanks for the reply.

Horsefeather,
If you're thinking of changing panels anyway I suggest you check out Red Lion Controls, they have a panel with multiple protocol communications for about half the cost of some competitors.
I'm not sure they have a sunlight readable but well worth a look.
Regards
Roy

Thanks, unfortunately the Red Lion product line does not contain 12" panel PCs.

I've narrowed the search to marine panels, they seem to be the most rugged commonly available. I'm looking at the Vartech and Attro product lines. I was kind of hoping that one of the forum readers had experience with the GE Fanuc line and a sunlight readable display.

Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back