Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paper space scaling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOPdesigner

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2005
US
In AutoCAD 2010, I have my model drawn 1:1. In paperspace 1:1 is too large to fit on my drawn sheet, and 1:2 is kind of small. Is there a way to enter a custom scale setting? Like 3:4. Then the next problem is when I go to dimension my part in paper space, the dimension values don't take the scale into consideration. In other words if my view scale is 3:4, and my part is 1" long, the dimension value will be 0.75" instead of 1". Do you have to go into the dimstyle and set that scale manually for each of your views that is not 1:1? Seems like a lot of potential for mistakes. Sorry for the many questions in one post, just trying to start using the paper (layouts) space as intended. All our legacy data is model space only, one drawing sheet per dwg file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Place your dimensions in model space. If you place them on their own layer you can turn them off in other viewports. To enter a custom scale for the viewport, open the properties window (Ctrl-1). You will see Annotation Scale, Standard Scale and Custom Scale. In the Custom Scale box click the calculator and then type in 3/4.
The AutoCAD documentation is outstanding. You can press F1 while hovering over anything in on the ribbon or you can browse the documentation online here: There are also really good tutorials for download.

Here's how I do it. All objects in model space. Nothing else. Dimscale = 0. Dimensions in paper space. Scale the viewport as needed. Ltscale set to use Paper space for scaling. All is well!!!

Thanks guys. I got the custom scale set for the viewport, but still struggling with the dimensions. Maybe I will have to dimension in Modeling. It seems that there should be a easy single click to get the dimensioning to take into consideration the scale of the viewport, without having to adjust the scale factor on the Primary Units tab in dimstyle.

Actually, there is a setting like that.

Under the dimstyle manager, (acad 2009 here, assume 2010 to be the same) go to the "fit" tab, and on the right, select "scale dimensions to layout"

Then, when you're in paperspace, just make sure that you're clicking to object geometry, not the node of the dimension that you just put in. You need to pick modelspace objects, or it will give you the paperspace dimensions. Numbers should come up correct, if not let me know, there may be another setting I'm forgetting.

dimassoc=2
Otherwise, go by the other previous posts placing your geometry in modelspace. Then use solview to create your viewport. Set all other variables as mentioned in other posts above. place your drawing titleblock in PAPERSPACE at 1:1 scale with lower left near 0,0. double-click inside the new viewport, zoom=extents to get everything in, and zoom window on the desired detail. You can either lock the viewport at this point (select it and choose locked-yes from the properties dialog ) or set a "standard" zoom factor as you mentioned above, and THEN lock the viewport. You don't HAVE to set a standard scale (eg: 1/2"=1',etc), tho unless your company standards call for it- mine do. While in paperspace, do your dimension with scales in your dim stds set to 1. If you pick on the geometry showing thru the viewport while you're still in paperspace, the numbers will be correct (no matter scale) and the size factors (arrowheads, text,etc) will be scaled for 1:1 paperspace. With dimassoc set to 2, your dims will actually attach to your geometry- even tho they're in Paperspace and your Geometry is in Model Space, allowing you to modify geometry, and within limits, the dims will follow and update automatically. If one gets unattached from its geometry, reattach it using "dimreassociate".

Good luck, and let us know how it goes !

C.F.

ps- sorry about the phantom post- I hit the wrong button before !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back