Paper space - what is it? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudhakarn

Automotive
Apr 1, 2013
IN
Hi Folks,
I am back with a new question.I have been using AutoCAD for several years.But I have never used paper space as much as model space.I have only used for generating few view ports and for a plot preview.So I just wanted to know the true purpose of paper space and the layouts. Where do we use it in real time.
Can't wait for your replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Paper space is a "virtual paper" you can use to make the drawing look more like a professional drawing.

Have you ever traced a drawing by placing a thin piece of paper over another drawing? That's a lot like paper space.

Have you ever created a drawing with multiple pages? When you attempt to print it, do you have to draw the window around one page border, then plot again and re-select the window around the next border, and so on? Would you like to automate that?
Paper space allows you to do that by creating several paper-space layouts (they can be identical) so that once the plot window is set, you don't have to change the plot settings again. The command PUBLISH will print out all of the paper layouts.

Have you ever found yourself making copies of your drawing so that one view can see the overall shape and structure, and then another view sees the same thing but at magnified scale to show more detail? Why did you draw it twice? By not using paper space to view the 1 model at 2 different scales, you just wasted a lot of time. What if there is a difference between the two details at two scales? Then you just created an error by drawing it twice!

You can draw things ONCE in model space, at whatever level of detail you need, and through paper-space viewports, you can zoom in on detailed regions as you need.

STF

Paper space is your best friend. It is the best thing that AutoCAD ever did. Draw the thing in Model Space, everything else goes in Paper Space. Bonus: if you XRef the drawing into another you only get what is in Model Space, making assembling parts very clean.

Paper space is the area where the titleblock with its border would be located; then by opening a viewport within the border of the titleblock, the drawing that you have into the model space will appear. At that point you'll have to scale that drawing to fit within the border of the titleblock. You can open several viewports within that border and each drawing that appear can be scaled differently. Prior generations of ACAD versions all these activities were done in model space and unless you knew how to scale properly, it was a headache.

To add, once the titleblock with its border and properly scaled drawing(s) are set, you are nearly ready to plot as long as you make a selection on how to plot, preferably, on my part, is to set limits on the corners of the border of the titleblock.

Think of paperspace as your final sheet layout for your drawing. On it you can have several 'windows' to look at parts of your model space drawing. I usually have all my drawings in model space... foundation, main floor, upper floors, and roof in one model space drawing. I use paperspace 'tabs' to create foundation plan, main floor plan, etc. using the sheet drawing and titleblock as 'blocks' embedded in paperspace. The tab name can be the sheet number and when you plot it, it will use the tab name as the file name. I plot to a *.pdf writer.

It's simply a matter of setting your scales correctly. Viewports when added to paper space show the entire model space... it's a matter of scaling the image in the viewport to show only the part you want... it can be the entire site plan, or part of the site plan showing the structure, or it can be the structure. Paperspace is the best thing since 'sliced bread'.

Remember to lock your viewports.

Dik

Wow!never thought that the paper space would be so useful.I am gonna apply these stuff straight away.Thanks a ton for all your replies.Kudos!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back