Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallam epoxy creep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drscottuk

Structural
Jun 21, 2007
GB
I was just wondering, given the recent incident at the Boston tunnel involving creep failure of epoxy in tensile connections ( are Parallam's certified or tested against creep failure?

Given that Parallam's are more reliant on the long term strength of their binding epoxy than GLULAM's, this must be a pretty big concern.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

good question,

The thickness of the epoxy is not as great as that in chemical anchors so I would think the creep properties would not be as exagerated, but....

The report did mention that some epoxy anchors did pass a creep test.

csd

I reckon the problem might be exacerbated if the beam was called off as a joist trimmer, due to the addition of fatigue from continual loading-unloading.

I dont think it is a fatigue problem, just a creep problem. So any load that is not continuous will not cause this type of failure.

csd

drscottuk

Have you learned any more on this topic? After thinking about the issue, I had some additional thoughts.

Wood beams experience long term creep generally equal to about 1/2 the dead load. This is true of solid sawn lumber and of glulam. I would expect that this would be true of Parallam also. My guess is that epoxy creep is not a concern because of the creep in the wood.

RARSWC -
I did a bit of research online and heard that the creep problem occurs with formaldehyde based epoxy adhesives.

I'm not sure the exact adhesive composition for the more common laminate / wood fibre beams on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back