Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parallel synchronous generators and power output regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspace123

Electrical
Sep 3, 2009
AU
Hello

I am trying to understand fundamentally how generators operated in parallel with a solar PV facility are able to regulate their power output.

I understand the concept of synchronous generation. Basically, for a stand-alone synchronous generator, the rotor induces a voltage into the stator and as current flows in the stator, it induces a voltage back onto the rotor. As load incraeses, rotor speed decreases due to force from induced voltage from the stator. The generator is then loaded with more fuel to bring the rotor back upto required frequency. If load exceeds what the generator is capable of, then the rotor will slow down and frequency of the system will decrease eventually tripping the generator. Apologies if I am not 'technically' correct here, but that's how I understand it in my head.

Ignoring the PV facility for now, when there are two generators operating in parallel on the same grid, I understand one is typically operated in isochronous mode and the other in droop mode. Let's assume the isochronous geneartor is fully loaded, but then load increases beyond the generator rating. The generator in isochronous mode will try to maintain rotor frequency to match the required load frequency, but the generator in droop mode will adjust its power output based on grid demand? How does this happen exactly? If there are additional generators connected, how is the output of the generators in droop mode regulated such that each generator supplies a specified amount of load, in conjunction with the isochronous generator?

If we bring the PV facility online, how do you adjust the output power of the PV facility and hence adjust the output power of the generators in droop mode?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Power in equals power out.
The output depends on the amount of fuel or steam or hydro fed to the prime mover.
When the sun comes up and the solar starts to pick up part of the load, all other things being unchanged, the power in will exceed the power out.
This drives an increase in frequency and the governor cuts back the fuel feed to the generator accordingly.
The frequency in a system is not static. The frequency of the grid fluctuates slightly, smaller generators more so. (isochronous as well)
Your solar inverters must track changes in the system frequency and lead the system sine wave slightly.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back