Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paralleling ZigZag Earthing Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMag

Electrical
Jul 17, 2003
AU
I am looking to determine if there are any potential problems with operating two Zn Earthing transformers in Parallel ?

They are connected to an 11kV system that is energised from 3 ungrounded 11kV generators. The earthing transformers are to the same design, but have slightly different zero sequence impedances (3% different). Operating them in parallel reduces the risk of site black out if one transformer develops a fault (gens are tripped if Eathing Tx tripped) and simplifies interlocking.

The system is fault rated to withstand the additional earth fault current, and the protection grades still. I don't know whether having two Earthing Tx's in parallel will cause any 'circulating current' third harmonic problems.

Does anyone know of any potential problems with doing this ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the transformers solidy grounded?

There might be some circulating third harmonic current, but it shouldn't be terribly high.

Off the top of my head, I don't see a big problem.

I'm not sure I see the necessity of tripping the generators if you lose the grounding transformers. The generators would be OK ungrounded for a short time period while you switch to the backup grounding transformer.

But it's early Monday morning for me, so I could be overlooking any number of things.

Given that one has 97% of the impedance of the other, that’s probably within usual manufacturing tolerances—even if they were built side-by-side, and should be acceptable. [From the description, the “3%” variation in impedance is not, for example, one rated 2% and one rated 5%, right?]

If the zigzag transformers are independently switchable, it would be well worth double-checking neutral currents for each energized independently, and then in the neutrals of each with both on line.

Yes - the Transformers are solidly earthed, and the 3% difference was between the impedances. I'll give some consideration to not tripping immediately - the VT's should give the system a coupling to earth, though without earthing no earth faults would be detected, and if one were to happen (double contingency I know !) the cable insulation would be stressed as some cables do not have phase to phase voltage rating for the phase to earth insulation.

Thanks for the replies.

But you're talking about a short period of time when the generators would be ungrounded.

You could add ground fault detection by means of a broken delta PT connection and a voltage relay to detect zero sequence voltage.

Paralleling two ZN transformers should not be a problem assuming the connections met the following conditions:

o The transformers should have approximately the same relative short-circuit impedance with maximum permissible discrepancy + /- 10%. For 3% differences, the transformers should be capable to handle around 98% of the continuous rated capacity without overload.
o The voltage ratio between the primary and secondary sides must are assumed to be as similar.
o The transformers connection is identical in the LV & HV side.
o Rated output taps ratio if any are assumed to be smaller than 3:1 for each unit.

With the two banks on line, a check of neutral currents would verify that there is no significant circulating-current problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back