Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parametric Sweep - Component Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerErrant

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2009
US
Apologies in advance, I'm sure this has been asked before, I just can't find the right combination of keywords to find a post about it.

I have a small rectangular shape inside a larger one, and I have rib-like components in a linear pattern on each edge spanning the distance between them. For the corners, I'd like to have the lengths of the ribs parametrically reach out to interface with the wall (at given angular increments) without having to make a hundred different part lengths and arrange them meticulously inside. I can add just about any features to both the inside/outside rectangles to make this happen, but any feature-driven pattern just gives me a linear array, not a sweep.

Right now, I've got an oversized part, and I'm using a cut-extrude in the assembly to trim it off. Is there a more elegant way to do this that I'm missing? (Illustration attached, please excuse my Paint-fu.)

"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." -Scott Adams

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to clarify, the parts themselves are gentle arcs (swept boss). If they were straight spars, I'd do an extrude-up-to-face and use the outer rectangle to terminate, but I can't really think of a way to extrude a swept profile up to a face besides what I'm doing right now.

"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." -Scott Adams

Try using Weldments. you can setup the profile of the rib as a weldment profile & then extrude the ribs within a single 3D sketch. weldments do an excelent job with merging corners to your specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back