Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parametric swtich from Boolean Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttaktn

Automotive
Jul 29, 2004
GB
Hey guys,

After using nice parametric software for the past 5 years (Solid Edge), my new job uses Mechanical Desktop! It's like rewinding time!!

We model faceted, dumb solids in Mechanical Desktop and due to the Boolean system, we are able to use this solid model and 'explode' it into flat regions/panels and unfold into a flat net. (Think of getting a cardboard box and getting the net/pattern. A simple shape is shown in the attached image.).

Would you guys know if there's some parametric software (SE, SW or Inventor?!) or add-ins for parametric software which could let me model a solid shape, and then generates a net for it? I would like it to stay parametric so for example if I model a cube of 10x10x10 and modify it so one side is twice as long, the net would update the relevant 'sides' of the net to suit.

I know there are sheet metal software options in the majority of recent parametric software, but I'd like the panels of the net to remain identical to the solid. That would mean no bend radii, relief options etc, which rules out sheet metal.

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know of any software or add-in which would do that. Especially not with a one-click solution.

but I'd like the panels of the net to remain identical to the solid
Do you mean that literally? i.e. could you accept a .0001" (or even smaller) bend rad? With similar gaps at the "joining" edges? SW (and I assume SE and IV) can do that in sheet metal.

You could also create a solid, then create zero-offset surfaces on all faces of that solid, and finally rotate those surfaces to a single plane (flat layout).

I'm curious though, what purpose does the "net" serve. What are you actually producing?

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back