Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parametrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardstyler

Industrial
Jul 9, 2008
GB
Using a linked excel spreadsheet I can manipulate the dimensions of parts in an assembly, but can I dictate the number of times a component appears in the assembly, and the spacing between such parts, by simply putting numbers into the spreadsheet?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hardstyler,

When I started writing this reply, I would've said no, but I dug a little further and I now believe it is possible.

The procedure is actually quite simple; create a sketch in your assembly, and inside your sketch, draw your pattern. Save the sketch. Use the Pattern Parts command, select the parts needing the pattern, and select the pattern.

Fun part in all this is that the properties of the pattern become variables of the assembly, simply link your variables to your excel spreadsheet and voilà! (I believe there are a couple threads about this... if you need more help, just say so)

Note: If using a square pattern, use the "fixed" mode, to have total control over length and occurrence.

hope this helps!
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.