Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Park brake latch - push to latch - push again to unlatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1BMW

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2011
US
Hello all. I believe this is my first post here.

I have been trying to find a schematic or drawing showing
how the latching mechanism works in a foot actuated parking brake
that does not have a separate release lever or handle.
It is the type in which you press the main pedal once to latch and press it again to unlatch.

I have tried a Google search and Google image search with no luck. I am not even sure of
the correct name for this type of latch. On/off park brake latch, cam latch, auto latch ??

I found the following vehicle use this type of foot brake pedal and latch set up.
2000 Chevy C1500
2007 Toyota Camry SE
2004 Mitsubish Endeaver

I am sure there are many more.

If I don't have any luck with finding a drawing or an example of this type of mechanism I plan to find one from a vehicle and take it apart.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A customer of mine makes mechanisms like that. Unfortunately, that also means I am operating under a non-disclosure agreement.

They can't stop you from ordering the apparatus from the dealer (or junkyard) and reverse engineering it. If from a recent model vehicle, watch out for the possibility of patents.

I really hate those push-push parking brakes.

Not just because you can get them into a state where they're very difficult to release,

... but also, mostly, because you can't use the parking brake to slow the car in stealth mode.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Two possible examples for inspiration are in your pocket protector, and at a bowling alley. You may have do sacrifice via permanent disassembly a skilcraft US government pen or similar to see a push-push engage/retract mechanism. Bowling alleys have a push-push mechanism that sorts bowling balls right and left as they come out of the return chute as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back