Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parked B737 maxs ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
Those parked '37 maxs look to have engines installed. I wonder if "someone" has thought about the implications of long term parking on the engines (ie long term preservation) ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Like the ones parked here:

20190823_175352_cut445.jpg

They were plugged and taped up tight when I was in Seattle last summer. Now that a few nor'westers have blown through, that may not be so neat and tidy.
Every plane that is parked long-term should be checked weekly & monthly.
Return to service is also more work for maintenance and line crews to do before delivery. It will be a nightmare because it's going to divert people who would otherwise resume building them. In terms of how the planes are arranged in the parking lot, also consider FILO "first-in last-out" rules will apply, too.

I understand that the engines need to be run every so often, 1/yr or so depending on the preservation applied. Something to do with the oil on the seals. They don't seem to be parked with that in mind, nor do you see maintenance crews working on them (i'd've thought it would have been almost continuous.

I can see people thinking (when this started) that it'd be only a few months. A year later …

Yes, there will be a lot of work to get these 500+ airframes in a saleable condition …

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back