Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Parking Lot design

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcoiris74

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2002
GB
I need some tips on how to design a parking lot. First, this particular parking lot will be constructed over the existing, which is currently too low (sinking into wetland area. I am planning on adding 3' of lightweight fill on top of the existing to protect it obviously from high tide (currently parking lot floods during extreme high tide conditions or heavy rain) Bacically the lot will/does accomodate 50 cars, and is practically an island in the wetland/marsh. First, are there any publications/websites where I could obtain good design info on how design this thing. Need info on lightweight fill, possible drainage solution since a drop inlet would be useless for drainage during high tides and rain. Pavement thickness would need to know as well. This particular "island/parking lot will be surounded by a 4' floodwalls to protect it fom the bay. Any help is appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. If you plan to use concrete, check out ACI & PCI publications on parking lots and slabs on grade. Both organizations have websites and book stores where you can purchase their design guides.

2. If you plan to backfill over the existing parking lot, I would recommend braking up the existing pavement first using one of those large, "guillotine" paving breakers. You will get better compaction and any water that might accumulate below the new pavement will drain away.

3. If the existing pavement drainage is just surface draining your OK, but if there are existing storm sewers, then you must decide if they are in a condition to be reused. Raise the catch basins and make sure you have all the pipes located before you start to backfill.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

I don't know if this is going to post under the correct heading, if it doesn't please let me know!

Angle parking at 71°
What would be the minimum practical one-way aisle width?
I'm trying to live with 15'

I understand that this can vary from one jurisdiction to another, my concern however is operational! Can cars get in and out of these stalls with a 15' wide aisle with relative ease, and is anyone aware if such tight dimensions have been allowed anywhere before?

Thanks a lot!

Right now I am working on a parking lot deisgn. I would like to know where I can find the standard for the drainage design for a parking lot. Thanks.

Try the following sources for parking lot design information:

1. The book "Architectural Graphic Standards".

2. The Portland Cement Association (PCA)website.

As a rule of thumb for drainage slopes, I use a minimum of 2% on asphalt paving and 1% on concrete paving.

On any lot subject to the sub-grade being saturated, you should use geogrid to provide some strength to the sub-grade. This is especially important if installing drainage is too expensive or impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back