Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Parking Lot Traffic Analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVM51

Computer
Aug 10, 2010
US
I am interested in analyzing ingress and egress traffic flow for fans entering and exiting sports venues. I will have the ability to access digitally recorded video of all the parking lots (including entry points) associated to the venues.
Are you aware of any analytical software or consulting services that are capable of analyzing parking lot traffic flow for the underlying causes of congestion, choke points and general inefficiencies filling and emptying the lots? I would like do this to gather information to formulate changes in the parking process (and perhaps parking configurations) to improve the experience of fans coming and going from events at the venue.
I appreciate your comments or guidance
JVM51

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not believe there is any software that will just give you the "best" answer, or most efficient parking lot layout. There is traffic engineering software that will analyze any given configuration, but the designer needs to use engineering judgement and input the configurations.

But there are plenty of traffic engineering firms that can complete this analysis for you.

Civilman72, thanks for your input.
I don't expect an answer via the software. I think what I am looking for is software that will provide various metrics on the activity of vehicle/pedestrian movement on the recorded digitized video. I know that some retailers are using software integrated with their video surveillance systems to help optimize product placement in the stores. Analyzing the metrics in the context of the parking lot/entry gate configurations and general traffic patterns during an event will (I hope) help us recommend changes to improve what is generally a hateful experience.
I will look further into "Traffic Engineering" services and software.
JVM51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back