Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part 15 licensing of my product needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE22

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 21, 2010
US
If I offered my product as "radio control ready" but didn't actually sell the RF control would my product need to be licensed? To operate my product I only need two NO relays from the RC control. I would provide the interface cables but not the RC unit. I'd like to list particular controls as a recommendation for my customers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your product needs a specific RF remote to work, then how can you sell it without? What about the remote itself... has it already been tested and FCC qualified?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Part 15 is all about unlicensed; so you won't need a "license."

Most anything with modern electronics needs to be inspected, tested and certified by a national regulator (e.g. FCC, IC, etc.) approved lab to ensure it meets the applicable requirements.

This isn't exactly my area, so hopefully the above is accurate.

My product does not need a specific RC unit. I've tested 3 off-the-shelf transmitters and receivers so far. Each stated in their manuals that they complied with Part 15 of the FCC rules.

From what I've read so far it's a fuzzy area. I believe that supplying an interface cable to be used between the "approved" receiver and my product might require my product to be certified. I also think that by calling my product a radio controlled device I might need to have my product tested as a non-intentional radiator.

This may be irrelevant, but we just bought an IR remote controlled LED lighting system that claims to be FCC Part 15 compliant. I'm only posting this because I happen to have the "manual" sitting here next to my laptop.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Google the keywords: FCC Declaration of Conformity.

The requirement and process apparently even applies to unintentional emitters such as receivers.

The receiver has relays as outputs. I use those to turn on/off the inputs to my device. The cable runs from the receiver output to my product's inputs.

I'll take a look at "FCC Declaration of Conformity"

As VE1 mentioned, if the item uses RF, you need to make sure it's not transmitting on its own... this includes clock crystals, receiving antennas that act like transmitting antennas, etc. An output cable could quite easily re-radiate what is being sent to it.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The FCC requires testing of the final product. So if you are integrating a radio receiver into your product you need to have your product tested against FCC Part 15 emission limits for unintentional radiators. They are verifying that your wiring didn't become an unintentional antenna that is radiating; it is unfortunately much easier to make an antenna than most people think.

If you are using a radio transmitter in your product then you need to be tested against FCC Part 15 limits for an intentional radiator and get your system certified.

A radio manufacturer claiming they meet FCC requirements is only stating that their device passes, so there is a high probability that you can implement it in your system without issues.

Z

Thanks guys - I think I get it now. It seems, though, that any electrical device, even if it is not intended to be controlled by wireless, must meet the criteria for an unintended radiator. Is that so?

That is correct. The FCC wants it to be able to work next to a radio or a TV and not disturb the reception. Class A for industrial environments is less restrictive than Class B for residential environments.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back