Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part/assy config's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I'm not up to speed on design tables. I never had the need for them, until now.
I'm creating 6 configurations of a part that is based on a part within an assy that also has 6 config's/sketches.

The problem I have is I can't change the dimensions, I need the dim's to move to another point on the sketch, or add a new dim for each config while suppressing the previous dim.
I'm not sure if this can be accomplished with a DT.

Is there a way to make the configs using new dim's?

Attached is part of the assy (I can't show or attached the complete file). It shows one of the dim's that needs to change to the other points of the sketch.

I was able to make this work by dragging the point of the dim to the new point and selecting for this config, but it only worked until I finished the 3rd config and everything got out of wack!
SW couldn't handle that much info change in the dim.
IMG

Chris
SolidWorks 11
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didnt know you could do that until I just now tried. "$STATE@Distance_@Sketch_" seems to do what you want. U (unsupressed) = driving, and S (supressed) = driven.

Joe
SW Premium 2011 SP5.0
Dell T3500 Xeon W3505 2.4Ghz
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

I am assuming it is not as simple as having different dimension values for the different configurations.

Interesting that the idea proposed by JMarv would be "overridden" by SolidWorks. Typically including a parameter in a design table is a good way to make the "sticking" of different config parameters more robust.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

You should be able to name your Dimensions and then save and close then reopen and delete them. add new dimensions where you want and then rename them the same names that you wanted before.

With design tables i always name my dimensions so that if i ever have a bad design table i can load a new copy and it grabs all the same dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back