Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part attributes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwam2ie

Automotive
Jul 11, 2005
DE
Is there a way delete all part attributes of an assembly.
Not to go to each part ( 300 parts). Is there a one click solution?
thx in ad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not that I know of. I'm sure you could do it if you wrote a program to do so. And if you do by all means post it here, quite a few requests are made for utilities of a nature that will globally change things across entire assemblies.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

hudson,
ok - but first choice is without programming. I can do it with grip, ...dlatt - for a single part no problem, but to do it in each component of the assy I have no idea. --
thx

Why do you wish to remove all of the Part Attributes in the first place? And despite your desire to do this without the use of NX Open (GRIP or otherwise), I wouldn't hold my breath.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I want to remove them because there is critical information stored in the attributes . The assy(s) should be moved to an other site. Clear all attributes means not question in future...
thx

So I assume that you are creating a copy of your assembly first and that it is this copy that you are wishing to purge the Part Attributes from, correct? If so, will you at some point have a folder in which the only part files are the assembly and all of its components? If so, a simple program to purge the attributes and refile the parts would be fairly straight forward.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

No, refile part brings the files up-to-date with respect to the latest revision level of the software. The only recent change we've made was in NX 6.0, adding an option to automatically convert Mating Conditions to Assembly Constraints.

If you wish, I could whip-up a pretty simple GRIP program which would remove all of the Part Attributes from all of the non-'read only' components of an 'active' Assembly. The program would be simple, but the execution would be 'brute-force' in nature and you would have to do a manual 'Save All' afterwords.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

OK, here's a very simple GRIP program which will take an assembly file in the current NX session, cycle through all of the components and delete the Part Attributes from each one of them, including the top level assembly file. Note that there is a restriction that all of the parts in the assembly MUST be of the same base units (no mixing Metric and Imperial components in the same assembly). Also, you will have to manually perform a File -> Save All after running the GRIP program in order to save the updated files.

Anyway, give it a shot and see if it meets your needs.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back