Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part can't be deleted in Creo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias82

Electrical
Nov 27, 2020
CH
An engineer from another company made a construction for us, with the current Creo parametric version.
In the STEP file we get, there is an unnecessary part: A part, which is located at its right position is also located at a completely wrong position and even pierces other parts.
I'm not familiar with Creo and think, it should be possible to just delete this part, but the engineer told me, that it is not at all possible to remove this part and we have to live with that.
What could be the reason why a part can't be removed anymore and how would it be possible to remove it anyway?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the assembly was imported as an assembly, then it should be possible to delete the part.

If the assembly was imported as a part, then it's a collection of surfaces that made up the individual part surfaces, so there is no part to delete.

In the past a function called "Data Doctor" could be used to edit the imported information and delete unwanted geometry, including curves, points, and surfaces. It's not a lot of fun, but the unwanted geometry can be removed that way. I don't know if it has that same name, but the functionality should still be there.

Thank you. The model hasn't been imported into Creo, but the engineer created the whole model in Creo.
Could there be a reason why a part can't be deleted?

Not a STEP file then? Anyway, there are a few dozen ways to screw people over in Creo models - ask the engineer what he did that makes it "impossible."

I've never come across any impossible situations; I have come across people who build models in such a way that minor modifications take far more time than they should take.

I used to have a list of the top 100 ways to ruin people's day, but they individually take too much to explain them all and it does no good unless you have the experience to have made your own list, in which case you would not be asking. It took more than a decade of dealing with bad and misguided user models to get there.

When exporting from Creo all you have to do is hide a part and it won't be part of the export file.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

The model tree should either list a series of parts or surface bodies. Click through the list and delete as appropriate. There's no way to make this an impossible task, only a painful one if your extra "part" is a million tiny surfaces scattered throughout the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back