Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part changing definition between assembly and sub-assembly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaH

Aerospace
Apr 7, 2011
US
I am currently working on a large assembly with many sub-assemblies that was originally created by someone else. My problem is that one of the parts changes definition and position when I regenerate in the main assembly or sub-assemblies. So here are the steps I go through to cause the part to move;
1. Open the main assembly (everything is regenerated and in the correct spot at this point)
2. Open one of the sub-assemblies that contain the problem part. The part is still in the correct position before I regenerate.
3. When I do regenerate the sub-assembly, the part moves to the other side of one of its parent objects. Meaning that before regenerating one of the faces of the problem part is mated to the left side of the parent part with an offset. After a regeneration the mate constraint of the problem part changes from being mated to the left of the parent part to the right of the parent.
4. I fix this by editing the part definition and changing the mated surface on the parent part back the left side. After this further regenerations in the sub-assembly do not cause the problem.
5. Now if I close the sub-assembly and going back to working on the main assembly a regeneration will cause the part to move again.

I know that it is hard to diagnose a weird problem like this without the file, but I can't upload it due to file size and proprietary information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

4A. Save the sub-assembly before returnig to the higher level assembly!

Do you have simplified reps that are coming into play between the assembly levels?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks for the quick reply looslib.

I do save before closing the sub-assembly window, but as you noticed, I forgot to include that step in my origonal post.

There are a variety of simplified reps in both the main assembly and sub-assembly. I am fairly new to Pro E and have not done much with simplified reps so any guidance on how the simplified reps could cause the problem would be appreciated.

Simplified reps may be opening different components at diferent levels of your structure. When the top level is open, it may include rep A, but when the next level is opened, it may include rep B. Graphically, you may not be able to tell the difference, but the software knows that something has changed.
You can display the names of the reps used in the model tree window.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back