Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proizvodnja

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2014
BA
Is it possible to make configurations (like in SW) in one part but not as a family part? I want to use one part in CAM, make an operation and then just update on different dimension variants.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no clue whatsoever can be done in SW or other systems.
But your description sounds like "Parameter Tables" introduced in NX1899.

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

What version of NX are you on? If parameter tables is available try that, I'm using them to achieve virtually the same thing, picking from different options on a list multiple lists, and it's slick. Tables can be created from either expressions or a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet method can be very useful where the same table can be used in multiple parts.

NX 1899 Windows 10

You can do a "primitive version" by importing .exp files into the expression editor.
Start of by exporting ( from the expression editor) your expressions. send to a .exp file.
load that with notepad and erase the ones you do not want to modify.
modify the ones you like and when ready, save the .exp file , re-import into the expression editor ( and note the options when importing)
Apply .

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

One way I have done this in the past is with attributes and attribute templates. A list of numbers can be created in a file using attribute templates, applying it to the part attribute, then applying the attribute to an expression, then lastly using the expression in a feature. Attached is a simple example with a block.

Go into the file->properties->attributes and pick the height/length/width attribute, change the value and the block will update immediately when applied.

Crude but it works.

Sorry for the rough explanation, it's difficult to put the process into words, maybe if someone wants I'll make a video.

NX 1899 Windows 10

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b84ec147-95d2-464d-8980-c67f9a953dac&file=model1.prt
Sorry, that should have been obvious, my bad. The process is the same no matter what version of nx you're using unless it's ancient. I figured out the process from a lot of posts by John Baker who retired a while ago. Would a short video be helpful?

NX 1899 Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back