Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part files opening smaller than Originally saved 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripper2

Specifier/Regulator
Jun 14, 2007
US

Morning all.

I have a few part files that ate 60-70 mgs - -however, they are opening at 20 mgs.

Not opening in lightweight, nothing hidden or suppressed.

Any advice on why this is doing this?

Thanks

Rip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have a general assembly drawing - - -done at work - -and the final size is between 60 - 70 mgs.

However, when the file is opened at home, or on another machine ( lappy or stand alone) the file has shrunk to like 20 mgs.
Why is this happening?

Thanks!!!!

Rip

What does it save it at, 20 MGs? Also need your SW & SP version. Are you running PDMWorks at work?

Ripper, food for thought. Go to "Personal Profile" at the top left of this page and put your system profile and SW and SP versions to the "Signatures" area. See my signature example below. This way we can help you better.

Best,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB

Mac.
Great food for thought!
Personal stuff entered.

Not running PDM works at work.

It is a 60-70 mg file when saved, when opened its 20 mg.
Perhaps my computer is possessed.

Thanks!

Rip

Solid Works 23007 Office Pro.SP 4.0
Compaq Presido 6000
Win XP

At least your home computer is possesed in a good way by making file size smaller.

How are you seeing the file size if it is only opened and not saved?

What size is it after being saved on your home computer?

I assume you copying the file to a removal media of some sort. Perhaps the act of copying is acting like a "Save-as" and cleaning out the Windows 'shadow' crap.

... or it could be that because you are running such an advanced version of SolidWorks. Maybe SW has finally figured out how to compress its files. [lol]

BTW, it's SolidWorks not Solid Works.

[cheers]

Blimey,
Im seeing the smaller file after its saved and then opened. Im not saving it on my home computer, just the one at work. This is also happening to another person who works her as well.
Misery loves company!!

Thanks!!

Rip

SolidWorks 23007 Office Pro.SP 4.0
Compaq Presido 6000
Win XP

Ripper2,

Don't worry about it. SolidWorks file size changes and get bigger and smaller all the time.

It is a product of the Microsoft Structured Storage and the shadow data that is stored in a SolidWorks file.

You will notice this a lot with files that contain multiple configurations. There is a lot of shadow data stored with the configurations, which among other things help with the speed of changing configurations.

You are not losing data. Just a natural part of working with SolidWorks files.

Regards,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP4.0, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

Hi Anna!

Thanks you for the advice.

And, thanks to all who gave answers as well.

Rip

SolidWorks 23007 Office Pro.SP 4.0
Compaq Presido 6000
Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back