Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part instances to drawing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windchill Creo

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2013
IN
I am in need of this, Can any one help on this?
Ref:/What I did come up with is using WORD's VBA to read the list of instances and generate a mapkey with the different name and address's so to speak, of open and save as values of the single mapkey.

Saving that to one big mapkey, minding the 2048 length restriction of a single mapkey. Chaining them when necessary.

Then I load the new config.pro VBA makes, change work dir to a empty folder and output the drawings while I get a cup of coffee. Takes about 10 mins. to output 600 dimensioned drawings. Based on the generic's dims.

It has worked flawless so far. The only odd thing is when it's done. It shows the generic model referenced in the model tree on xxx instance, but if you close drawing out and erase not displayed it's all in sync. Inst. Model to Inst.Drawing name.

Now I can Pro_Batch the drawings to DXF getting a second and third cup of coffee.

I'm seeing this as a pretty wide open type of alternative to passing parameters around. Because you can tell Word which macro to run on startup.

The Java/Html way sounds good too. But I am on R2001, someday WF, but it should work in WF also. Between outputing the tree info,inf files,instance files there is a good deal of infromation to be grabbed outside of Pro.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's a lot of steps, but the original post covers most of them.

What part isn't working out?

When I did this same task, I created a trail file instead of a mapkey, so no limit on the number of characters and no chaining.

Start the software fresh, and go through the steps to create one drawing, including saving and then quit. Use the resulting trail file as a template for a program to create other trail files. Saving them as .txa files will help as .txa doesn't cause Creo to crash if there's a problem. Look for information on Training Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back