Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Part modeling - how do I create a bent ribbon cable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

m60gunner

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2002
US
What is the best way to model a ribbon cable which bends a couple of times back upon itself? Imagine folding a ribbon cable so that it travels perpendicular to it's origin, and then folding it perpendicular to itself again so that it is now traveling parallel to its original path.

I just can't get a smooth model.

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I were you I would create a 3D sketch of the cable profile that you want, keeping in mind that you can not have it intersect with itself but you can make it look close to folding onto itself. Then create a sketch of a circle on a plane that is normal to the curve at one end. This sketch should represent your cable O.D. Next sweep the profile so that now you have one wire of your ribbon cable, then do a linear repeat in any direction offsetting your profile width. Now if you need to edit the cable you just have to modify the 3D sketch accordingly and the rest should follow.

Hope this has helped you.

The problem I get into is that it's almost like a sheet metal feature - the ribbon cable gets folded 90 degrees but creates a 45 degree fold line to make the cable route perpendicular to its original path, then it does it again.

Sweeping a single cable/wire/circular profile would work for a wire, but how do I make it work for a flat ribbon?

Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

forgive me if I am wrong but isn't a ribbon cable just a bunch of round wires molded togeter.

I still think that you can create this using a sweep and then a linear pattern. 3D sketch may not be what your looking for but if you create your profile correctly sweep will work for this application.

To create the 45 degree bend you could create your ribbon wire as discussed above using a linear pattern. then cut the wire on a 45 degree then open a sketch on the cut face. Convert entities. Then create a sweep path to fold over itself.

I hope I explained that enough.

Draw the circles attached together in a sketch. Draw a 3Dsketch and 3Dsketch guide curve. Sweep it along the 3Dsketch and the guide curve.

m60gunner
Your second post hit the nail on the head. Unless you need the fine detail of the wire ribs, the simplest way is to use a Sheet Metal part. A thread texture can be used to simulate the ribbed appearance (sort of) & the part file size will probably be a lot smaller. Also you will be able to flatten the cable should you need to.
Sure it can be done using Sweep but Sheet Metal will be a lot more practical & quicker.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[ponder] What happens if you get scared half to death twice? [ponder]

I don't belive you can show textures at the drawing level if you needed to show a drawing of the cable. Otherwise you need to use the method I have discussed.

I really appreciate the input. "ctopher", I am not familiar at all with 3D guide curves, but I am working on that approach.

"CorBlimeyLimey", the sheet metal option seems to be the route that I will have to take.

I saw your file, Scott, and that's the extent to which I can do the sweep. Try making a 90 degree turn with it now. That's the problem.

I don't need the circular shape to show up in a detail drawing. Textures will work for me in the assembly. A totally flat plate will do. It just has to fold over to turn 90 degrees twice - just like a sheet of paper...fold one end so that is now at a 90 degree angle from the opposite end... now there will be a 45 degree fold

jksolid
m60gunner was not asking about drawings, but you are correct ... you cannot show textures in drawings. Hopefully we will be able to in some future release.

BTW ... the method you describe will not sweep a true profile of the ribbon. If cut at 45° the wire section will become eliptical & the ribbon width will be "stretched". Probably good enough for what's needed though.

Actually I tried to do a true sweep of a folded ribbon & gave up after 1/2 hour. Made the same thing in Sheet Metal in less than 2 minutes!!

CorBlimeyLimey, can you send me what you came up with?

Thanks all for the input. It seemed like an easy task, but I couldn't think of the best way to tackle it.

It is definitely a sweet assembly model and the drawings are looking good, too!

Thanks again!

An added note. If you do end up wanting to represent the individual wires on a drawing, apply a hatch to the area. Use something like steel. Rotate and scale the pattern until it looks like a bunch of grooves.

If anyone is able to model this folded ribbon using a sweep, I would really like to see it. My email address is CorBlimeyLimey AT lycos.com

I guess I don't follow what your trying to do exactly. It doesn't matter if it's SM or a sweep. You can't have it pass within itself.

m60 said:
I saw your file, Scott, and that's the extent to which I can do the sweep. Try making a 90 degree turn with it now. That's the problem

Which direction? I updated it so the ribbon doesn't pass within itself. See
Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back