Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part Numbering + Database Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmctiernan

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2006
IE
Hi All,
Just wondering what others are doing in relation to part numbering and file naming. I know this has been discussed before, I'm just wondering if anyone has any fresh thoughts on the matter.

I also need some suggestions on creating a part numbering database for use in a multiuser environment in order to deal with assigning and tracking the part numbers. My preferred method for using it would be to integrate it in some way to my custom property editor macro that I developed, so that any typed data is simultaneously saved to the part and to the database, otherwise it will mean typing the same information twice.

Thanks in advance,
Declan.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not fresh, but still works: keep part numbers dumb; keep part numbers and file names the same. Other than that, it sounds like you have a great macro if it works the way you say it does. Is it something you'd be able to share?

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
sw.fcsuper.com
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group

Hi Matt,
The auto-assigning of the part numbers is the piece of the puzzle I'm trying to solve. I can create a database in MS Access but getting it to auto-assign a number is a whole new matter. I just want to eliminate the need to type information twice.

At the moment I have the following:
1) A SW VBA macro that edits and saves the custom properties to the parts.
2) A prototype MS Access database for storing part information. (It probably needs alot of work, but its been several years since I done anything in Access. Any suggestions or sample database that others are using would be appreciated)

I now need to combine the two in a multiuser environment. It would be a great tool that I wouldn't mind sharing...... if I could get the darn thing to work as planned.

Declan.

We use dumb item numbers, the ten digit item number is the filename whether it's an assembly or part. Any intelligence associated with a part/item is in an external database.

We use an Access db that is tied to our ERP db. Thru the Access db, we can create an item number, set up the vendor and price info, etc. Also check to see if it's already stocked in our inventory.

Parts/items are classed by a type field (F001 being socket head cap screws, M010 being stock timing belt pulleys, etc.) Intelligence is built into the description field. We can search on type or description. So if I search for type = M010, I get a list of all the pulleys we have, or if I search description for "SHCS 1/4-20" I get a list of 1/4-20 SHCS we have.

Part drawings are associated with the part in the database. So when I look up a pulley, I get a list of files associated with it (sldprt, slddrw, legacy cad, pdf, etc.) and click on a button to open one.

We create BOM's using the equipment spares tables in the ERP db.

We plan to create requisitions in the ERP straight from the BOM someday, but aren't there yet.

Key to whatever you do is to be sure it works with (or creates data compatible with) whatever purchasing/inventory systems you are using, if at all possible.

I've been working on a standalone version of our Access db, but its not ready for use yet. But I'd be glad to share what's there if it'll give you a head start...

Hi printing724,
Its sounds like you have a pretty comprehensive system in use. It would be excellent if you could share a copy of the Access DB with me to help me get started.

Many Thanks,
Declan.

printing724

maybe you cal help me. I have a Access Db that generate project numbers and drawing numbers based on "Project#"-"DivisionCode"-"sequentialNumber" (for example:2045-CL-0001). How can I in SW have an aplette to connect to DB and pick Project#, Drawing# etc. and store it in part Custom Properties ?. I am pretty good in Access but complete novice in SW macros/coding, so I would need a lot of help in accomplishing this task if it is possible at all.

Thanks.

Maybe it is time for PDM? We have PDMWorks Enterprise. Part numbering and database are built in. Data card ensure that all custom properties are there, and it has built in functionality to write and retrieve data from other SQL sources. Big investment up front; but it pays off in the future of your company and consistant practices.

Just my opinion.

Rich

Minneapolis, MN

rtrnka,

Thanks for input. My problem is, that we do not work in isolated environment. My engineering department database (Microsoft Access), I was referring to, is connected (some tables) to company wide (128 countries) Oracle database. I am familiar with PDM Enterprise package, also known as Conisio. It is a good solution, but have some short comings, such as revision control. What I realy need is to tap into that database (Microsoft Access)and and be able to select certain information to be placed in Custom Properties for project management and file naming purposes. By the way, we do have and use PDMWorks.

Best Regards

Matt,
You’re right on with keeping the part numbers dumb.
A star for you.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

This is an old item.
At one time I would have agreed with keeping the part numbers dumb.
However, I totally disagree with the concept now.
Some very basic intelligence in a part number is more than worthwhile.
I attended a SW's seminar and they had a guy come in and preach on non-intelligent part numbers. We at the time thought it was great since that is what were doing at the time.
The argument was computers can search on descriptions just as fast as part numbers.
However, in a custom shop, parts are being cut on saws, being burnt, being ordered outside and they all have to come together at some point. The part numbers are being hand drawn on the part. A simple part numbering system ( I stress simple) is worth it's weight in gold in a custom fast turnover shop.
(Ex: 1111-222-33 is the system.
Where 1111 is a unique job number, 222- is the weldment or asm it belongs to and -33 is the part being welded (or assembled to the assembly,)
Mike

Mike

Adding to the intelligence.
When a part number is complex, I would agree give it a random part number.
However when the part number is simple and straightforward,
Make the part number simple for a bolt.
Ex: Make the part number literally:
SHCS 0.25-20 x 2.0
or
SHCS 1/4-20 x 2.0
or whatever variation works in your company.
I worked in a purchasing department using this system.
I tell you it makes life simple.

I also would like to add, Forget using the toolbox.
Use the toolbox to make your range of parts and leave the toolbox alone after that. Drag and drop your parts from PDM works. (Bin there done that).
Mike

Mike

I pressently have an access database that creates part numbers for our entire group. I have it tied into pdmworks.

This is the way it works.

1. An designer creates His Model. Each part in the assembly is named as it would appear in the description field. This allows the designer to model with out worrying about drawing numbers.

2. The designer then checks the model in to the vault .

3. We then run the macro on the assembly and it renames all of the parts contain in the project. It also takes the a Filename an moves in to the description field in the model and logs this in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back